- highlight the extraordinary legacy and ongoing achievement of American poets,
- encourage the reading of poems,
- assist teachers in bringing poetry into their classrooms,
- increase the attention paid to poetry by national and local media,
- encourage increased publication and distribution of poetry books, and
- encourage support for poets and poetry.
One way that we are celebrating here at W.C. Mepham High School is by reciting a short (45-second or less) poem over the PA system each Monday and Friday morning during the month of April.