Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day 2009

Today we inaugurate our 44th President of the United States. Like most of our country and the world, Mepham High School will be watching the 56th Presidential Inauguration. I wonder which part of the day our students are looking forward to the most - the Presidential Swearing-in Ceremony, the Inaugural Address, or the Inaugural Parade?

When President-elect Barack Obama takes the oath of office, he will state the following:
"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of the President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Image source

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ms. Stack said...

Well, he tried to say the oath properly. It was memorable! We had over three classes packed in the library on the classroom side, all huddled around Ms. Zitay's computer because the streaming on CNN stopped working on the SMARTBoard. Ms. Dennis, Mr. Patten, Mr. Cooney, Ms. Langevin, Ms. Larrera, Ms. Slattery, Ms. Shapiro, and many, many students were all crowded around this one 15 inch monitor that never lost its connection. I brought out the loudest speakers I could find. Most students were only able to hear the inauguration because students were pouring in from the halls. It was packed. I hope that they had that "I will tell my kids where I was at this moment" feeling. I know I did.